Thing 7C – Google Reader

Like many of my classmates, I may have been overzealous when I started subscribing to various blogs.  I need to go back through and weed out what I’m really not that interested in.

However, while reviewing one of the library blogs I subscribe to called 100 Scope Notes, I came across an article about ebooks.  The author confirmed a fear that I have that more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon in favor of digital books.  He linked to a comic strip in which illustrator/author Lucy Knisley talked about how reading on her ipod has changed her life and how she now reads so much more because it is convenient.

I know this class is all about new technologies but the idea of digital books makes me sad.  You can’t get an author to autograph an ebook and I can’t picture sitting on the beach trying to block the glare from the computer screen so that I can read.  Call me old-fashioned but I like holding a book in my hand and I like the smell of a new book.  I am just about as excited when I open a box of new books for the school library as I am to open my birthday presents.  That being said, I did order some ebooks for the first time on my last book order.  I guess “if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.”